Everyone thought 2014 would be a quiet year for Rihanna because she had no new projects to promote but she proved them wrong. In fact, 2014 was one of her best years yet. The Barbadian songstress covered every major fashion magazine and a few I’d never even heard of, she killed it on the red carpet and continued to set trends with her off duty style. There was so much to chose from but here are my personal picks for her best looks of the year.
Let’s kick things off with the best posts from Instagram. Despite the fact that @badgalriri was deactivated for several months, there were still quite a few looks to sift through. Here are my top three picks:
- She was the first person to wear Adam Selman Fall 2014 and looked amazing in it
- Only Matthew Zink’s muse could rock a Charlie bikini in freezing Aspen weather
- Rih celebrated 420 in a mash up of Marques’Almeida, Minimale Animale and Jacquie Aiche
As mentioned earlier, Rihanna’s gorgeous face graced many magazine covers in 2014. These included Elle, Vogue, Tush and her controversial Lui cover. While those were all very good, here are my top three picks.
- Rihanna had two covers for Vogue Brasil’s May 2014 issue but this one was the most beautiful ever
- This stunning Harper’s Bazaar Arabia cover was the best kind of surprise
- She was fierce and wild on W magazine’s coveted September issue
Rih is a high profile celebrity and as such she is photographed everywhere – at airports, on shipping trips with friends and on errands. And let’s not forget the many nighttime romps to Giorgio Baldi, her favourite eatery in Los Angeles, because my top three off duty outfits were from visits to the Italian restaurant.
- Not many are brave enough to show off their undies in this transparent Simone Rocha skirt
- Rihanna was definitely not a basic bitch in this Trapstar top and Manolo Blahnik pumps
- Raf Simons menswear and gun prints weren’t just for the boys in 2014
The star did not release any new music in 2014 so there weren’t as many performances this year as in the past. But Rih’s styling team pulled out all the stops for The Monster Tour and her other special appearances. My top three are as follows:
- Rihanna stunned in one of Zac Posen’s best gowns at the first Diamond Ball
- You can’t go wrong with a cape, especially a sequined one by Tom Ford
- She channelled Aaliyah on the opening night of the Monster Tour in Asger Juel Larsen
I saved the best for last. No red carpet or fashion week front row was complete without Rihanna’s presence. The singer cemented her status as a fashion icon and continued to push boundaries in 2014. Below are my top three picks from her many appearances.
- An icon needs an iconic dress like this Adam Selman creation for the CFDA Awards
- Rihanna shone bright at the Diamond Ball in Chopard and Zac Posen
- Hyein Seo and Melitta Baumeister went from unknown designers to fashion faves after this Paris Fashion Week look